June 2016 - A message from Amnesty

Thanks to activists like you, Yecenia Armenta now walks free in Mexico. She had been arbitrarily detained by police in the Sinaloa State of Mexico in 2012. Yecenia was beaten, near-asphyxiated and raped during 15 hours of torture until she was forced to "confess" to involvement in the murder of her husband. Finally, she has been released, and Amnesty activists like you helped make the difference—together, we sent over 300,000 letters and petitions to Mexican authorities on her case during last year's Write for Rights campaign. In response to her release, Yecenia told us: In this moment I have many mixed emotions, yet I don't know how to grasp them. I feel happiness and I feel very excited. I feel as if I was out of commission. I want to see my children. To all the people that have accompanied me, I want to give immense thanks. Without their support, this would have been almost impossible. I want to thank those that keep fighting, that don’t abandon this beautiful work that is to fight for the rights of others. Sometimes justice comes late, but it will come. Yecenia is right. Without the activism and support of people like you, victories like these would be almost impossible, but when we stand together demanding justice, it will come. While not one of Yecenia's torturers have been held accountable, we will continue to campaign for justice in Yecenia's case and for an end to torture worldwide. You can join Amnesty's next Write for Rights Campaign this fall.

No comments: